Skip to main content

Advocacy service for residents

What does an advocate do?

How your advocate helps you is up to you – they're there to support your choices. For example, they can:

  • listen to your views and concerns
  • help you explore your options and rights (without advising you in any certain direction)
  • give you information to help you make informed decisions
  • help you contact relevant people, or contact them on your behalf
  • accompany and support you in meetings or appointments

We work closely with people who use our service to try and make sure their voices are heard and respected. However, if you need somebody to help you to get your views and choices across, you could ask for an advocate. This is somebody who is independent and not connected to council services.

Advocacy enables people with a physical or learning disability, mental health needs, or older people to make informed choices and decisions about their own health and social care. Advocacy can also help you to access important information, like benefit entitlement.

If you have an advocate, they will act based on your wishes. They will not take their own view of what is best, or try to influence you to make a different choice.

Sometimes people who are working with you might think you are not able to make certain important decisions.  If you have no one in your family to represent your wishes you will be referred to the Independent Mental Capacity Advocate (IMCA) service.

This is an independent advocate who is appointed to help express your wishes and make sure your rights are met. An IMCA can also provide a special type of advocacy which is called non-instructed. This means that if somebody is unable to express their own views, perhaps for health reasons, the IMCA can make sure that the right decisions are made on their behalf.

If you think you or someone in your family requires advocacy support or for more information, contact the Cambridge House:

Telephone: 020 7358 7007 


For professionals who wish to make a referralClick here to download an advocacy referral form.

Please Return This Referral Form to

Or post it to
Advocacy at Cambridge House, 1 Addington Square, London SE5 0HF

You can also contact the Adult Intake and Access Team for more advice and information on 020 8227 2915.

Back to top Powered by Open Objects © Open Objects Software Limited