DABD is a local charity that enables independence for vulnerable people, helping them to achieve a better quality of life and to make their own choices.
We have been helping local people for over 65 years.
The services we provide cover all ages and include:
- support with welfare benefits and financial independence – benefits checks, filling in forms, helping families maximise their income, advocacy and challenging benefit decisions
- support into work, training or education – helping people with the skills and confidence they need to help them find and maintain work or training, qualifications, apprenticeships whether this is CV writing, completing job applications, interview techniques, work placements
- door to door transport – accessible transport for people with limited mobility using our fully accessible vehicles
- care at home for adults and children – for people who want to live an independent life – help with all aspects of personal care including overnight care. Also befriending and offering a helping hand with domestic chores or support to attend appointments
- Kid’s Patch Clubs – weekend clubs for children and young people aged 5 – 18 with disabilities or additional needs. Crafts and activities to promote confidence, positive relationships and fun.
- support for families including befriending and independence skills
- clubs and groups for 60 + - social clubs, craft clubs in Barking & Dagenham to combat loneliness and isolation in the older age group
- independent travel training - supporting young people with disabilities, special educational needs (SEN) or additional needs develop coping strategies and road and personal safety skills so that they can make the journey to their place of education independently.
- provision of independent living equipment – daily living equipment to purchase including wheelchairs, scooters, walking aids and adapted household items and personal care products