Skip to main content

Independent financial advice

Information about independent financial advice

No matter what your situation is, it's important to make the most of your money, be aware of the benefits which you may be entitled to and know your legal rights.

Who would benefit from independent financial advice?

Many people may benefit from independent financial advice including:

  • Those who might need a small amount of additional income to fund care at home, or capital for adaptations/extensions to their home
  • People with an immediate need for long-term residential or nursing home care
  • Those who are already resident in a care home and paying for their care from either their income and savings
  • Existing or potential care home residents who want to make sure that their savings, investments and other assets pass to their family and/or other beneficiaries
  • People acting as an 'Attorney' and who are responsible for the financial affairs of someone in any of the above circumstances

Sources of independent financial advice  

Money Advice Service 

The Money Advice Service is a free, independent service set up by government and funded by a levy on the financial services industry where you can find information about funding long-term care. The advice and information is available online, over the phone and face to face. 

Phone: 0300 500 5000

(The cost to call 0300 numbers is the same as calling a normal local or national landline.)

Society of Later Life Advisers (SOLLA)

Society of Later Life Advisers (SOLLA) - a not-for-profit organisation which provides a database of financial advisors who specialise in giving advice on finances in later life, enabling you to plan ahead or to make the most of your money once you reach retirement and older age. All advisors on the database have to prove that they meet appropriate criteria and have the right qualifications before they are accredited by SOLLA. You can use it to find a local advisor.

Phone: 0845 303 2909

Age Uk 

Age UK can provide information on choosing and paying for care. The information on finances in this leaflet applies to adults of all ages.

Age UK Redbridge, Barking and Havering
Barking and Dagenham Advice for 65+
The Ripple Centre
121-125 Ripple Road
IG11 7FN
Telephone: 020 8532 7354
Opening Times: Mon-Wed-Fri 9.00am to 1.00pm


DABD (uk) expert advisors carry out a free income maximisation check to establish entitlements to benefits and tax credits. They can help with any forms that need to be completed and if necessary, refer to other services or schemes that may be able to help.

Tel: 020 8252 5340


Tax Help for Older People 

Tax Help for Older People (TOP) independent free tax advice service for older people on low incomes who cannot afford to pay for professional advice. It doesn't matter where you live; they have a team of 20 and over 500 volunteers who can help. Advice is given depending on your situation and your query, and can be by telephone, a face to face meeting, post or by email. If your household income is less than £17,000 (after tax) per year and you are over 60, you will qualify for free tax advice.

Phone: 0845 601 3321 (local call)

Other useful websites

Back to top Powered by Open Objects © Open Objects Software Limited