Skip to main content

Paying for a nursing home

The Council is not allowed to run nursing homes because they provide health care. So they are all run by independent organisations, private companies or other organisations.

Nursing homes usually charge more than residential homes because of the specialist care available. Everyone who needs it is entitled to a contribution of £108 per week from the NHS towards their nursing costs. This is paid no matter what your income or savings are. In some cases, the NHS will pay more.

However, you may still have to pay all or part of your accommodation costs at the home. If you contact us, we can tell you how we work out your contribution and how much it is likely to be.

We will do our best to give you the financial facts and explain the charges to you but sometimes different rules apply. In these cases we may only be able to give you a general idea of how much you may have to pay.

How much will I have to pay for my stay in nursing care?

How much you have to pay will depend on how much money you have. When we talk to you about your needs during your assessment, we will also look at your finances with you, to work out how much you will have to pay. Regulations about how much we should charge are set by Government.

If you have savings or investments which are over £23,250 you will have to pay the full cost of your stay in the home.

We also take into account any savings between £14,250 and £23,250, as well as your income which will help decide how much you will be charged.

The following payments count towards your income:

  • Any pensions or wages you receive;
  • Pension Credit;
  • Income Support; or
  • Any extra social security benefits you may be entitled to claim for your stay in the home.

We do not count:

  • Disability Living Allowance; or
  • Attendance Allowance.

If you do not want to tell us about your financial situation you do not have to do so - but we may then ask you to pay the full costs of your care.

Will I have to sell my home?

We will not count the value of your home as part of your income if any of the following apply:

  • your husband, wife or partner continues to live there;
  • a relative aged 60 or over continues to live there;
  • a relative under 60 who receives certain disability allowances continues to live there; or
  • a child under 16 you are financially responsible for continues to live there.

Sometimes other conditions apply which we can take into account when we are deciding if the value of your house should be included in your income. However we still have to take the value of your house into account when we decide how much you should pay for your residential or nursing home care.

Get in touch

If you need more advice, contact our Intake and Access Team.

Adult Intake and Access Team
Phone: 020 8227 2915
Minicom: 020 8227 2462

Back to top Powered by Open Objects © Open Objects Software Limited