Skip to main content

Information to support adults who fund their own care (often called self funders)

People arrange their own care and support for different reasons; some may pay the full costs and others may be 'council supported' but still pay a charge. If you are paying the full costs of your care, you are known as a 'self-funder'.

What makes me a self funder?

  • You have approached adult social care and, although your needs show that you are eligible for services, your income and assets including savings are above the financial threshold for financial help from the council.
  • You have chosen to fund your own care as you do not want to be financially assessed and wish to make your own arrangements for support.
  • You have been assessed but you are not currently eligible for care and support services but wish to put services in place.
  • You have chosen not to approach the council for help but wish to arrange support for yourself.

How can Adult and Community Services help me as a self funder?

Assessment of my needs

We can work with you to carry out an assessment of your needs, even if you can’t get financial support on a long-term basis. The assessment can help you to decide what kind of care could best meet your needs. Where you are assessed as needing care and support services but you are identified as a self funder, we can provide support to arrange those services if you are not able to do so yourself or if there is no one to help you to do it.

Find out more about having an assessment

Deferred payment Agreement

A deferred payment agreement means that you should not have to sell your home in your lifetime to pay care home bills. It is an arrangement with the council that will enable you to defer paying for the cost of your care home against the value of your home. The council operates a deferred payment scheme.

Find out more about deferred payment agreement

Advice about arranging your own services

If you are arranging your own care services, we can give you information about voluntary or independent sector services that you may find useful. Go to the Care and Support Hub website at:

Financial advice to pay for the service

If you arrange and pay for your own care independently, it is important that you get financial advice from a reputable organisation or financial advisor so that you can make informed decisions about funding your care.


There are advocacy services available which can help you to, say what you want, secure your rights, represent your interests and obtain the services you need. For general information about different advocacy services available locally go to Independent Living Agency

Advice on making and resolving a complaint

Each service you use should have their own complaints procedure and in the first instance you should direct your complaint to them. The Care and Support Hub has information and advice to help you make a complaint.

Advice on property issues

If your property is empty and you live permanently in a care home, you don’t have to pay Council Tax. For further information please visit the link below.

Council Tax exemptions

If your property is empty,  you will need to make sure that it is adequately insured – many insurance companies need to know if a property is left empty for more than 60 days.

If you were resident in the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham but move to live out of the borough as a self funder, you will then be considered a resident of the borough you have moved to, even if you have property in Barking and Dagenham. If you need financial support in the future, you will need to contact the council in which you are resident at the time.

Back to top Powered by Open Objects © Open Objects Software Limited