Skip to main content

Community Mental Health Services

Mental health difficulties can make day to day living hard and affect your relationships and your ability to hold down a job. There are a range of Community Mental Health Services available which all aim to help you recover and achieve the things that are important to you.

What are the Community Mental Health Services?

We work together with the North East London NHS Foundation Trust (NELFT) to provide a range of different services which provide different types of help.

Mental health difficulties can affect anyone at any time in their lives. They are very common and it's important not to be embarrassed about seeking help. Some people have short term issues when they are dealing with difficult events like divorce or losing a job. Other people develop longer term mental health difficulties, or mental illness.

If you are dealing with a mental illness, the Community Mental Health Services aim to help by:

  • Helping you identify and diagnose the problem;
  • Helping you to feel safe;
  • Offering you a range of treatment options;
  • Helping with your recovery;
  • Getting you involved in social activities; and
  • Helping you to feel more independent.

Community Mental Health Services are made up of social workers, community mental health nurses, occupational therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists and support staff.

Who can get help?

You will get help from the Community Mental Health Services if you have a mental health problem that needs treatment or professional support from a trained mental health professional.

Community Mental Health Services offer an "open access" policy, which means that you can contact us direct. However, you should always speak to your doctor first if you are worried about your mental health. Your doctor will ask us to see you if they feel it is the right thing to do. Remember if you are worried you can call us for advice.

How much does it cost?

NHS services are free and it does not cost anything to receive NHS treatment, although normal prescription charges apply for all medicine. We charge for some Adult Social Care services but we will conduct a financial assessment. If you get a Personal Budget you can use it to pay for some things that help you with your mental health difficulties.

What is a Personal Budget?

How do I get in touch?

If you are having mental health difficulties, it is usually best to visit your doctor first. They can talk to you about the kind of help and support you might need. If you want to get in touch with the Mental Health Services, you can call us on the numbers below.

Barking and Dagenham access and assessment team (BDAAT)
Phone:Tel 0300 555 1038 Switchboard:0300 555 1200

Community Mental Health Team for Older People (65+ yrs)

Phone: Tel: 0300 555 1016 Switchboard: 0300 555 1200
Fax: 0844 493 0206

If you urgently need to get in touch with the Council outside our normal hours, you can call our Emergency Out of Hours line on 020 8594 8356.

Is this information correct?
Back to top Powered by Open Objects © Open Objects Software Limited