Skip to main content

Where to go if there is a problem

Your first stop should be your doctor. They know your medical history and can help you to decide what kind of support and treatment you need.

Don't feel worried about going to your doctor. They are there to help with your mental health as well as your physical health, so if you are feeling anxious or depressed, they will be able to help you. They will try to find out what's bothering you. It could be anything from stress at work to relationship problems. Your doctor will be able to suggest the kind of help and support you might need. They might prescribe medicine, suggest you have counselling, or refer you to the Community Mental Health Services.


Mind is the leading mental health charity for England and Wales. They provide support and advice, and work to make sure people with mental health difficulties are treated fairly and with respect. As well as being a national charity, they have local branches all over England and Wales to provide support where you need it.


Address: Harrow Lodge House, Hornchurch Road, Hornchurch, RM11 1JU 
Phone: 01708 457 040 (local) or 0300 123 3393 (national) 

Barking and Dagenham access and assessment team (BDAAT)

BDAAT is the assessment service for adults aged 18 to 65 that need to access community mental health services in Barking and Dagenham.

They provide an initial mental health assessment. Once assessed they will refer or signpost you to other mental health services or organisations or offer brief intervention for a time limited period.

If needed, they offer a

  • full assessment of mental health and social care needs
  • access to a psychiatrist talking therapies and other psychological
  • help advice and information
  • crisis intervention
  • psychiatric medication review
  • and if appropriate self-guided support support with social problems recovery and wellbeing approaches

We also provide: a single telephone number for anyone enquiring about mental health services in Barking and Dagenham. Urgent mental health assessment where needed and management of referrals to other specialist mental health services. The team is made up of psychiatrists, community mental health nurses, mental health social workers, support time and recovery workers, occupational therapists.

Address: Barking Community Hospital, UpneyLane, Barking, IG11 9LX
Phone: Tel: 0300 555 1038 Switchboard: 0300 555 1200
Fax: 0844 931 0133

Community Mental Health Team for Older People (65+ yrs)
Phone: Tel: 0300 555 1016 Switchboard: 0300 555 1200
Fax: 0844 493 0206

If you need advice and information about Adult Social Care, you can call our Adult Intake and Access Team on 020 8227 2915.

Back to top Powered by Open Objects © Open Objects Software Limited