Skip to main content

Listening to your concern or complaint

If you are unhappy with our services in any way, please tell us. We want to know so we can try to put things right.

Don't feel worried about making a complaint

As your council, we are providing a service to you. We try hard to make this service as good as possible. If you are not happy about the way you have been treated, you have a right to complain. 

If you make a complaint we will not hold this against you or treat you any differently than we would normally. Instead, we will listen to your complaint carefully, and try to find a resolution.

Your feedback is important to us and we keep track of complaints and concerns. We need to know about services which are popular as well as those that are not meeting expectations so we can make improvements for other people too.

How do I make a complaint?

The first thing you should do is talk to the person who is providing the service, or their manager. Explain that you are unhappy and would like to make a complaint. You will find that most complaints can be sorted out straight away, "on the spot". If you don't want to talk to the person providing the service, or you feel that you can't, then you can get in touch with our complaints team instead using the details at the bottom of this page.

We will accept complaints in any format. The majority of complaints do not have to be in writing.

Making a complaint

What will happen next?

When you make a complaint we aim to contact you within  two working days to let you know we have received it and are looking into it. The letter you will receive is what we call the "Acknowledgement of complaint letter”. It will show the concerns you have raised, the name of the person or the service area investigating your complaint, and how soon we hope to resolve the issue. 

We aim to get back to you with our final response within 10 working days. This is called the "Complaint investigation response" and will contain our findings and what we are going to do.

If the complaint is complicated, it might take up to 20 working days to resolve. If this happens, we'll let you know that it might take longer.

What if I'm not happy with the outcome, how can I take it further?

We will look at different ways of sorting out your complaint, to see if we can find a resolution that you are happy with. This might not always be possible, but we will do our best to make sure you are satisfied.

If you are still feel that your complaint hasn't been resolved, you can get in touch with the Local Government Ombudsman (LGO). This is an official whose job it is to investigate complaints made against councils.

Visit the LGO website to find out more

 Although you have the right to contact the Local Government Ombudsman at any time, they will probably only get involved if you have already been through our complaints procedure.

I need help with making my complaint

If you need help making a complaint and do not have or wish a family member or friend to be involved you can access an advocacy service.

I need someone to speak on my behalf

The Care Quality Commission (CQC)

The CQC is responsible for registering and inspecting health and social care services. It helps to raise standards of care. We work closely with the CQC to tell them about any complaints and concerns that are raised about our care services.

Someone to support you to be heard

Getting in touch

Adult Social Care Complaints
Address: Adult Social Care Complaints, Room 218, Town Hall, Barking, IG11 7LU
Phone: 020 8227 2323

Local Government Ombudsman (LGO)
Address: PO Box 4771, Coventry, CV4 0EH
Phone: 0300 061 0614 or 0845 602 1983

Care Quality Commission (CQC)
Address: Citygate, Gallowgate, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 4PA
Phone: 03000 616161
Fax: 03000 616172

Back to top Powered by Open Objects © Open Objects Software Limited